Sunday, June 5, 2016

An Encounter With God

"For the Word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires." Hebrews 4:12
Encounter With God"God is alive and so is His Word and God speaks to us daily through the Word of God about every situation in our lives."
This weekend, I had an encounter with God. One like I've never experienced before. It's something that I want to share, but I'm not even sure how to.
What I do want to do is encourage you to encounter Him too. If we call ourselves Christians, there are things we need to stay away from, and things we need to run to.
God's Word is one of the things we need to run to. I used to not read the Bible. My prayers were lifeless and boring. I didn't know what to say to Him. But once I got a hunger for His Word, and I actually started reading it, things changed.
In my booklet from this training I attended Friday and Saturday they list out the purpose of the Word.
The Word of God is essential for spiritual growth. "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby." 1 Peter 2:2
The Word of God is our standard for living. "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." 2 Timothy 3: 16-17
The Word of God brings guidance. "Your Word is a lamp to my feet and alight for my path." Psalm 119:105
The Word of God brings transformation. "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God." Romans 12:2
The Word of God keeps us from sinning. "Your Word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:1
The Word of God shows us our identity in Christ. "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new." 2 Corinthians 5:17
The other key is living by the Holy Spirit. When we become Christ followers, the Holy Spirit comes in our hearts to dwell with us. He teaches us through the Bible, and speaks to us in a still small voice. In Galatians, Paul wrote about the Holy Spirit and gave us an example of how to live.
Galatians 5: 16 & 17, "So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won't be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17 The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions."
Galatians 5: 22, "But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things."
This weekend, I realized that in some areas of my life, I was lacking self control. My finances are one of those areas, which I've talked before. I also realized I was holding on to some ill feelings towards some people. 
As Christians, we are forgiven people... so we need to forgive. FULLY forgive. Anybody that has ever done anything to do, they need to be forgiven...and it's not for THEM, it's for YOU.
You are blocked God when you withhold forgiveness. Forgiveness is Holy Spirit living.
One thing that Robyn Bittle said yesterday that will stay with me forever is that when you are in need of something, do not run to people, look within yourself at the Holy Spirit and get it from Him.
I'm bad about running to people. I'm bad about needing to talk things out. What I need to be doing is talking to God about it and allowing the Holy Spirit to minister to me and help me through. If I'm lacking self control, He has it, so I need to ask Him for help.
It's my prayer and you will have an encounter with God soon. Open His Word. Read about Him and how He feels about you. Living by the Holy Spirit will help you too.
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment