Saturday, April 9, 2016

What Jesus Thinks About Bullying

"Do to others whatever you like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets." Matthew 7:12 NLT

Today, a community of friends and family will lay to rest a 13 year old girl who took her own life because she was severely bullied. I do not know this family. I was around her father some in high school, but that was over 20 years ago. She attended my daughter's middle school, but my daughter didn't know her. I say all of that to so that you know I am not writing out of emotion. I'm writing because I feel like God wants me to.

Before Jesus came to walk on this earth, the Jewish people were very racist and stayed to themselves. They are the chosen people, after all. They believed they were better than all other races. I'm certain some bullying took place in their time too.

In Luke 10 a question is asked of Jesus, 25 One day an expert in religious law stood up to test Jesus by asking him this question: “Teacher, what should I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 Jesus replied, “What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?”
27 The man answered, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your strength, and all your mind.’ And, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”[c]
28 “Right!” Jesus told him. “Do this and you will live!”
29 The man wanted to justify his actions, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”
The story of the Good Samaritan was right after this Scripture above. We usually get upset because of the people in the story, who didn't stop to help the injured man. They didn't stop partly because of all the rules they had, (they would have had to be away from people for a week if they touched him) and because he wasn't one of them. That's exactly why Jesus told the story. He was teaching them that it's their responsibility to help others, no matter what race they were.

So, we can sum up the entire Bible in two things: Love God, Love People

Bullying is not loving at all. Bullying is also not treating someone the way you want to be treated. 

When you mistreat someone, you are disobeying what God has told you to do.

There is another issue here that I would like to point out. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't stop bullying, but I feel like it could help.

As parents, what are we teaching our children?

First, if a child, boy or girl, knows that their value comes from God, that might help their self esteem a little. I have been honest and written about my self esteem issues. Thankfully, I was never bullied. But I also had NO idea that God loved me so much and that my true value and worth was from Him.

Second, if parents are watching what their children are doing on social media, it might help.

I'm not fully blaming bullying on parents...because you can tell your child how much God loves them and they could still struggle believing it. You could also monitor every social media thing and your child still find a way to bully. I'm just saying it could help.

I'm 42 years old. When I was growing up, bullies could bother you at school. IF they rode your bus, you might get it on the bus. IF they lived in your neighborhood, they might bother you there as well. If they didn't...school was the only place they bothered you.

Now, these kids cyber bully 24/7. They post crap on social media, text message, and whatever else.

As parents, it's our job to know what they are doing. It's also our job to lead by example. One of my friends posted on Facebook about this yesterday that she remembers seeing some moms bullying a kid on Instagram.

What in the world people???

This is a hard enough place to live without you adding to it. 

The schools aren't helping enough with this issue either. I think some strict policies need to be in place and when a bullying case comes up, it should be dealt with fully. Not swept under the rug or shrugged off. This is a serious issue that needs to stop.

Jesus clearly tells us to treat people the way we want to be treated, to love God, and love our neighbor.

If you are doing this, I applaud you. If you aren't, maybe it's time to rethink how you are living... maybe it's time to give your life to Christ so you won't keep hurting other people.

It's terribly sad to think that the person feels so tortured that suicide is the only way to make it stop.

We are called to LOVE! 

Will you join me in prayer for this family who lost their precious daughter this week? And everyone who knew and loved her?

Will you take a stand and say something if you see someone being bullied? I hope you do.

If you are being bullied, please talk to someone about it. If you are a bully, please stop. You are loved by Jesus just as much as anyone else. Your bullying does not make Him love you any less.


They aren't worthless. God has a plan and purpose for the bullied and the bullies. Find out what that is, and let it change your life today.

God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment