Friday, April 1, 2016

Seasons & Mindsets

"For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven. 
A time to be born and a time to die,
A time to plant and a time to harvest,
A time to kill and a time to heal,
A time to tear down and a time to build up,
A time to cry and a time to laugh,
A  time to grieve and a time to dance,
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones,
A time to search and a time to quit searching,
A time to keep a time to throw away,
A time to tear and a time to mend,
A time to be quiet and a time to speak,
A time to love and a time to hate,
A time for war and a time for peace." 
Ecclesiastes 2: 1-8 NLT

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a play at one of our local colleges. It was very interesting. One of the skits that really stood out to me was this:

A man was sitting in a restaurant. He ordered food from the waitress. A friend of his comes in and tells him how bad his day has been. Every time he tries to do something, he's not able. Like the cab doesn't go to that street. While they are sitting there, the first man says his wife left him that day, but he was in a good mood. Then the waitress said his boss called and he'd lost his job. He was still cool and collected. The friend questions why he isn't freaking out.

The explanation was this: The friend who was experiencing opposite stuff and having a rough day was, he was in a "Philadelphia". The reason nothing was bothering himself was because he was in a "Los Angeles". In a Philadelphia, you only get the opposite of what you ask for.. it's hard... in LA everything is fabulous.

It was about their mindset. The first guy was having bad things happen, but choosing to focus on the good of the day. The other guy kept focusing on all the bad stuff, so his day was just awful.

This is so true for our lives! What you focus on will determine how your day and/or life goes.

For the most part, I am a pretty positive person. I usually find the good in people and situations. (That can be dangerous too, because some people find it easy to take advantage of me.) I'm just wired that way. I can't help it. I consider this a mindset. It's the way I think.

We all go through seasons in our lives. Mountains and valleys if you will. That's a part of life too. We live in this world with good and evil. If you are a Christian, then you've got a target on your back, because the enemy doesn't want you to live a Godly life.

I have been in a season that I'll call "aloneness". Have I been physically alone? No. I have three teenagers, a job, friends, family and a church family. I usually use that term to refer to being in a dating relationship, which I have not for almost two years. I have learned a lot during this time though.

1. I have a GREAT life! I can do this, because I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.

2. I don't NEED a man. God has been my Provider, Redeemer, and Friend. I was married for so long, that at first, that's what I thought the solution was, find another man to be with and let him take care of me. That was so wrong.

3. When I rely on God, turn to God, and let go of the limits I put on Him, He does amazing things.

4. Seasons don't last forever! (Even the good ones.)

A positive mindset will help you get through the rough valleys. You need that because valleys and totally suck.

If you remember I have written about Tori a couple of times. I've asked you all to pray for healing for her. She passed away on Easter Sunday. She was only 20 months old. Her parents went through this season of caring for her, and loving her. Now, they are in a season of grief, but turning this around for good. They are trying to get the message out that all newborns need to be tested for Krabbe disease. It is treatable if found.They are turning the bad that happened to them around for good so that they can help other families. I admire their strength. Please continue to pray for them.

Seasons and mindsets come and go. If our firm foundation is God, though, they are easier to manage. Is your foundation built on Him?

I hope so. If not, why not try to give it to Him? Pray and ask for Him to walk through the seasons and mindsets with you? He will.

God bless you today and always.


No comments:

Post a Comment