Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Training For Life

"Physical training is good, but training for Godliness is much better, promising benefits in this life and in the life to come." This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it. This is why we work hard and continue to struggle, for our hope is in the living God, who is the Savior of all people and particularly of all believers." ~ 1 Timothy 4:8-10

If you are my friend on Facebook, or a personal friend, you know that I have been exercising regularly for a while now. I used to not do anything. I thought my body wouldn't respond because of having a condition called PCOS. I was afraid to work hard and not see any results. 

Fear can cause us to do stupid things, as well as not do the things we should be doing. Like Jon Acuff, one of my favorite writers, says, "Fear fears community." How true!

Let me tell you why I believe that with all of my heart. Since I started this journey, having Barbara and Reggie encourage me has made a huge difference in my life. Also, the Facebook group I'm in with other people who are working on weight loss and/ or just making healthy life style changes has really helped me. They aren't accepting any excuses and they encourage my good choices.

We should do our best to take care of our bodies. After all, it is God's temple as a Christian because the Holy Spirit lives in us. 

According to Paul's letter to Timothy, Godly training is much better than physical training. Let me tell you why I think he said that.


Living for God simply makes life better. It doesn't not give you a "get out of trouble" free card. But it does give you a Heavenly Father who is always there, and a new family to encourage you along the way.

Community plays a big role in this part of our lives too. Having a church family means so much to me. I know there are people at my church that I can call any time if I'm in need. 

My definition of "training for Godliness" is this: prayer, Bible reading, devotional reading, and church attendance. These things will help you learn who God is and how He wants you to live. We also worship Him for what He's done. 

I have been called "too Godly". I have been told that I talk about God "too much." But you know what? I do not care what any one else thinks. I WILL live for God. I WILL talk about Him too much and I will NEVER stop that. People don't have to be my friend if they don't like how I live. 

You know why I will not compromise? Because He's done too much in my life for me to stop telling others about it.  I believe part of my calling/ gift is to tell others about Him. To show that He loves everyone and that He is there on a daily basis. God isn't sitting up in heaven not seeing us. He's right here with us, every day.

He wants us to be healthy physically and spiritually. He wants a relationship with us. And I believe He wants me to tell people that. 

The last line in Chapter 4 of 1 Timothy says this, "16 Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you." 

That's what God has called us to do as Christians. Keep a close watch on how we live. Are we leading people to God or away from Him? 

I believe we should train our whole life: mind, body, and spirit. If you are living that way, that's totally awesome. If you are lacking in an area, pray and ask God to help you. Then reach out to someone for accountability or advice. Remember, fear fears community. Stop trying to do it on your own and get someone in your corner to encourage you! You've got this!!!

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment