Monday, March 14, 2016

The Good Life

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want." Psalm 23:1


Yesterday, my Pastor started a new message series titled, "The Good Life". It is based on Psalm 23. Now, I know what you are thinking, normally, that Scripture is the "funeral Scripture" if you will. I know it's printed on the little papers they give you at funeral homes  here in my town.

However, Josh really opened my eyes to several things yesterday that I had not thought of.

The "good life" is something that looks different at different stages in our lives. We are constantly wishing things were different. "If only I were young again", "If only I was married." "If only I had that dream job", "If only I had my dream home."

We need to stop "IF ONLY"ing our lives away.

God has a purpose and plan for our lives. He does things differently than we do.

That first verse in Psalm 23 says it all. The Lord is my Shepherd.

Do you know what a shepherd's job is like?
 It's a lot of work. He provides, protects, and guides his herd.

Josh said "Out of all of the animals on the planet, why did God have to call us sheep? Sheep are dumb. Sheep can't do anything on their own."

That's the point though, isn't it? 

God wants us to fully rely on Him for everything.
He wants to provide for, protect, and guide us too.

A part from Him, what do we have?

Yes, there are celebrities who have millions on dollars that don't live for God. They probably think they are living the "good life", but I'm here to tell you they aren't. They are not joyful. They are not satisfied and fulfilled. They are empty and still looking for that next thing to attempt to fill the void with.

God is the lover of our souls and the maker of our hearts. Only He can fill the void.

He is our Good Shepherd who leads us into a good life.

If you've never given your heart and life to Him, will do you it today? Will you let Him be your Good Shepherd and lead you daily? Will you take time each day to pray and read His Word so you can stay close to Him? 

If you need prayer, please ask. I would be honored to pray for you.

God bless you today and always.


No comments:

Post a Comment