Thursday, February 18, 2016

Why should we praise the Lord?

Psalm 103: 1-5 NIV, "Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise His holy name."

Last night, Mrs. Laurel concluded our study on prayer. I have really enjoyed it. For about a year now, God has been teaching me about prayer. The thing about Mrs. Laurel is, she opens the Bible, and teaches it in such a way that you really understand it. Her life application and explanation of the Scriptures has helped me grow. If you are within driving distance of me, I highly recommend you stopping in on a Wednesday night.

Our topic last night was the Lord's Prayer in Matthew 6. She broke down parts of the prayer and explained that this is a frame work for prayer. It's not necessarily something we have to pray word for word. It is also written in Luke and it is a little different, so if we were supposed to say/ pray it word for word, they would be exactly the same. Here is a quick break down... what I really want to talk about is the last part of class:

The Lord's Prayer starts off with OUR... this is collective to show that God is for ALL of us.

Father, is Jesus telling us that God is our Heavenly Father. He could have used any number of names for God. But He wanted us to establish a family relationship with God.

Who Art in Heaven, God is not human. He can not be manipulated or controlled. 

Hallowed, is in most Bible translations because it can't be replaced. Hallowed, is honored, a form of praise, value, priority.

Your kingdom come, Your will be done, BEFORE we get to our requests during a prayer time, we need to acknowledge God, praise Him, and ask for His will to be done in our lives.

On earth as it is in Heaven, We are made from the earth, so we want His will in our lives, just like it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread, we need to ask God to give us what we need each day. He provided for the Israelites as they traveled to the promised land with daily food. We need Him every day, but if we get ahead with some things, we think we don't need God. Depending on Him daily, and letting Him provides, keeps us trusting Him.

Forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors, it's a reminder that we are sinners and Jesus blood redeems us. Also, Jesus said that if we can't forgive others, He can't forgive us.

Lead us not into temptation, God is not trying to make us sin. He will never make us fall. 

When we pray, if we worship God first, it will put our prayers into perspective. Enter Psalm 103: 1-5. I had my NIV Bible at church last night, but this morning I looked up the NLT and I like it's wording.

Mrs Laurel said that she uses these verses to help her praise God sometimes. It's a way to begin your prayers each day.

Psalm 103: 1-5 NLT
"Let all that I am praise the LORD; with my whole heart, I will praise His holy name. Let all that I am praise the LORD, may I never forget the good things He does for me. He forgives ll my sins and heals all my diseases. He redeems me from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies. He fills my life with good things. My youth is renewed like the eagle's!"

We should praise God, because like this Scripture says, "all the good things He does for me... He forgives ALL my sins, He heals ALL my diseases. He redeems me from death and crowns me with love and tender mercies. He fills my life with good things."

God is worthy of praise because this is who He is in our lives. He is our Father, but He's not just up in heaven, He's as close to us as the air we breathe.

We praise Him because of all He's done for us. When you start praying this way, things change. You magnify God, and not your problems you are praying about. You open the communication with seeing just how BIG and powerful He is, and how small some of your problems are.

And what a reminder of all He's done for us! We should never forget the great and mighty things He's done. Or how much He loves us.

Oh, and let me show you.. in the NIV version, I do like that it says, "who redeems your life from the PIT and crowns you with love and compassion".

Don't we all get a pits sometimes? I know I have. God redeems us from those pits, and the ultimate pit of hell. He provides restoration and salvation to all who ask.

Whatever is going on in your life right now, praise Him. Good or bad. I promise it will make a difference.

God bless you today and always.




No comments:

Post a Comment