Saturday, February 6, 2016

Depression Creeps In

Psalm 43:5, "Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God."

This has been a weird week for me. I have had good things happen, nothing necessarily bad, besides being sick...but something seems to have come over me and is causing me trouble.

The more I thought about it yesterday, my desire to do nothing, being tired, etc, it seems like depression is creeping in on me. I haven't really battled this before.


God in His infinite wisdom, had a great devotional ready for me this morning. In Christine Caine's "Living Life Undaunted" today's title was "Laying A Foundation". Here are a few highlights:

"Most of us prefer instant results to having to go through a preparation process. When things don't happen as quickly as we would like, we tend to give up or drop out."

"While I found this preparation phase incredible frustrating, lonely, and sometimes tedious, I know that if I had not stayed committed to the preparation process during those years, I would not be doing what I'm doing today."

Last night, I had a feeling that this was an attack on me because God has had me in a preparation phase myself. Then when I read these statements this morning, it was almost like confirmation.

Our enemy is real guys. And he wants nothing more than to stop you from doing what God has planned for you. 

Staying connected to God is a great way to fight off these attacks. Praying, reading Scripture out loud and asking others to pray for you are vital. When we give up that stuff, that's when things will get worse.

The prayer I pray on Saturdays from the Kendrick brothers book, "The Battle Plan for Prayer" is this:

"Father in heaven, I praise Your  name as holy and to be honored. I worship You as my God and ask that You glorify Yourself in my life. Search me and cleanse me of anything that displeases You. Forgive me as I forgive others. Thank You for Your provision, protection, and faithfulness in my life. Thank You for inviting me into Your presence daily. Teach me to pray, O LORD. Train me to joyfully bow in worship, to freely confess any and all sin. I thank You with a humble heart, praying this for myself and also those closest to me. All to Your glory, O God! In Jesus name, I pray, amen."

I was also reminded of two things in my Scripture reading:

Psalm 46:1, "God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble."

Psalm 46:10, "Be still, and know that I AM God!"

This is how God speaks to me sometimes... and I am so humbled and honored, especially today since I know I am fighting off something that needs to leave. God is so good to me. I can't even express in written words how much this makes me feel special, loved, valued, and honored.

My Heavenly Father loves me so much, that He's willing to use all of these things to remind me of who He is, and who's I am. He's a good good Father, and I'm loved by Him!

So are you!

Have you had times of trouble or down times? What do you do? I hope this helps someone else, and I would love to hear what helped you.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment