Saturday, January 23, 2016

A Week Through Proverbs

Proverbs 23:17, "Do not let your heart envy sinners, but live in the fear of the LORD always." NAS



I decided to start a week of talking about Proverbs. I have been reading through Proverbs each month for awhile, in different Bible translations. This month I'm reading the New American Standard. It has been interesting to see the slight differences each month.

Anyway... whatever jumps out at me, I write on an index card. So I will pick one each day for the next week and talk about it. If that's cool with you.

Today's Scripture that's posted above really made sense to me, because it is something we can all relate to.

Now, let me start by saying, we are ALL sinners. I think Solomon meant "Non Christians", but this is the Old Testament, so that wasn't really a thing yet.

I am translating it as "Do not let your heart envy non Christians, but live in the fear of the LORD always."

I talked about the fear of the Lord the other day. This isn't a scared out of your socks kind of fear. This is reference and awe. This is honoring God and His authority over us. 

Let me give you an example:

I published a book on December 31st, 2015. It is selling very slowly. But that's ok. I obeyed God, published the book, and I'm letting Him do whatever He wants to with it. I did not do it to get rich or anything of that nature.

SO, if I were to look at non Christian books, and how fast and how much they sell, then get envious, I'm only hurting myself. 

God doesn't want us to envy anything or anyone in the first place. Much less someone who is not living for Him. 

If someone chooses to not live for God, that's their decision. I am not saying they are wrong, or that I am better than them. I am merely saying, my standards, morals, and values come from God. I do not need to compare myself to anyone ever...but especially non Christians. 

That's like comparing apples to oranges. You can't do that.

Envy is not healthy at all. All it does is hurts you.

I have struggled with envy before. I still do sometimes.  Mostly with outward appearances. I might see a really skinny woman and wish I was her size. See, that's only hurting myself, and putting myself down. Which is stupid to do.

If you have struggled with this too, I'd be glad to talk to you or pray for you and help you walk through it. 

God loves us all just the way we are. We don't need to envy anyone.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment