Tuesday, December 22, 2015

What Is Favor?

"But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call Him Jesus." ~ Luke 1: 30-31

Dictionary.com defines favor as "something done or granted out of goodwill, rather than from justice or for remuneration, a kind act."

Favor is a gift. Mary found favor with God, so He chose her to give birth to Jesus. Scholars are pretty confident that she was a teenager. So, this wasn't a well seasoned older woman who had been walking with God for years.

Gifts I received at work.
What is favor and how does someone find it with God?

I believe we get favor from God when we are doing what He's called us to do. Mary must have been living by the Jewish rules and doing the things she was supposed to. She also must have been willing to be used by God, in any capacity. Otherwise, she wouldn't have agreed to what the angel told her.

How many times has that happened to us? We feel something on our hearts, something that God has clearly told us to do, and we second guess it. We wonder if it really is from God or if it's us. I know I've done that. 

If we are truly following God and allowing Him to be the Lord of our life, doing what He's told us to do, and living like He's told us to live, we will have favor with Him as well.

Proverbs 22:1 says, "A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches, and favor is better than silver or gold."

We tend to use that verse when talking about the name our parents chose for us, or the name we chose for our children. We just skim over the last part for some reason.

FAVOR is better than silver or gold. Having God's favor in your life is a priceless. 

Now, hear me out on this.. this NOT saying that you are God's FAVORITE. This is not favorites at all. God does not have favorite people. He had a chosen people, the Jews, but that plan was in place to save all people, so let's not get hung up on that part.

I don't know about you, but I would rather have God's favor and blessings than anything else in my life. I want what He wants for me. I trust His plan for me, and I am doing my darnest to allow Him to be first in my heart and life. 

For some reason, I feel like that's what Mary did as well.

I hope you find favor with God. I pray that His will and plan for you is all you want too. Because then, this journey won't seem such a crazy one to be on.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment