Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Digging Out Of Depression

Deuteronomy 31: 6, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; He will never leave or forsake you.”

If we are totally honest, we can all say we have battled with some form of depression at some time in our lives. I know I have, and I will be happy to admit it. Because, I found ways to help dig out. 


First, my relationship with God is very important to me. He is the best way out of any bad situation. Let me explain how.

My Pastor, frequently mentions two things:

1. If you are down and having a hard time, go help someone who is worse off than you are. This will remind you that others have problems, some of which are worse than your own. Also, helping others blesses us, so you will feel better because you stopped thinking about yourself and helped someone.

2. Put on the garment of praise. Basically, turn on some worship music and worship the Lord. Isaiah 61:3 says, "and provide for those who grieve in Zion, to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor."

I would like to add that we can fight off negative thoughts or bad feelings with Scripture. Say them out loud. That's how you fight. Your mind is the battlefield, but you've got to say things out loud to get them to go away. There are a ton of Scriptures that can fit right for your need. You can ask someone for help, or search them on the interwebs. (That's what my kids call the internet.)

Laughing helps make the bad go away. Watch a funny movie or hang out with a friend that makes you laugh. One of my close friends, Michelle, can get me laughing in a second. We always have the best time. Even if it's just texting. I am very thankful for her gift to make me laugh.

Today’s Challenge: Ask for prayer. Never be afraid to ask people to pray for you. Prayer is powerful! And being honest with someone you trust can really help.



No comments:

Post a Comment