Saturday, November 14, 2015

What Is Prayer?

There has been a stirring in my heart for some time towards prayer. I was already doing things differently, then the movie War Room added to it.

Now, I have purchased the book "The Battle Plan for Prayer: From Basic Training to Targeted Strategies" by the Kendrick brothers... inspired by the movie.

I am hoping to lead a small group at church this next semester from this book, because it's so exciting to me!

I am reading it now, so that I will be prepared for the small group. In Chapter 2 today, there are several examples of what prayer is, and I wanted to share it with you. 

During actual war, their strategies had to change over time. When they used to just run into each other, shooting, so many people died.  Someone came up with digging trenches that the soldiers got down in and shot from. That saved some lives, but made it hard to get out of and through their own barricades towards the enemy.

Then, Germany invented the tank. What a difference it made! They were able to move, with protection, towards the enemy.

Here are the things I highlighted in my reading today, these are directly from the book:

"Prayer is our armored tank. And when put into action by God's people, "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." (Matthew 16:18 KJV). Prayer is our major assault weapon in battle.

Prayer can do anything. Because with God, "All things are possible." (Matthew 19:26). It can reach out and address any issue anyone is facing anywhere on earth. It can be silently engaged without the enemy over hearing the life-changing conversation going on in our heads and hearts with our Commander in Chief.

Prayer means that God's miracle-working power is always a possible solution to whatever challenge stands before us.

Prayer provides an unlimited spiritual data plan, meaning we never need to worry we've drifted out of range from the signal tower. We can "pray without ceasing", the Bible says (1 Thessalonians 5:17) and know we're being heard with crystal clear accuracy at all times.

Prayer is privileged access to the God of the universe, bought and paid for by the blood of His Son on our account for all of those tho freely receive Him as Lord.

Prayer is like a standing counseling session, 24/7, no appointment necessary.

Prayer is what infuses all our efforts and the genuine concerns of our hearts with God's boundless ability.

Prayer is what frames our pressing, short-term issues with God's eternal perspective, showing us just how temporary- and endurable, and winnable - even our most intense battles truly are.

Prayer means hope.

Prayer means help.

Prayer means relief.

Prayer means power.  And a lot of it."

Here is the prayer at the end of the chapter. I hope you will read it and mean it. I hope you will see the power of prayer like I am beginning to.

"Father, I ask that You forgive me for the times when I haven't valued or believed in the power of prayer that You've offered me. I've tried making things happen in other ways. But that  hasn't often proved so effective. Father, I want to learn to pray in faith I want to grow closer to You. I want to experience this kind of confidence and freedom to believe You, rely completely on You, and go into battle with You. Guide me, I pray, as I try to trust You more. Train me. Equip me. Make me a mighty warrior in prayer. Be glorified through me as I trust in You. In Jesus name, amen."

In my life, I have had times of vain prayer.. just wanting God to do MY will. Not His.

I have done things wrong and my way, hoping that God would bless it. I'm not living like that anymore. I want my life to be what God has planned and His will always. I hope you can learn from my example. And I hope if you need prayer, you will ask me to pray for you, because I will!

God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment