Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Who Can You Encourage?

Dictionary.com defines encourage as "to inspire with courage, spirit, or confidence"

My heart for this blog is to encourage you in your daily walk with God. I hope that I speak life on this internet page and that it helps you get through the day.

I had a phone call last night that encouraged me and lifted me up. Michelle and I have known each other for over 10 years now. She is one of my first "Internet friends". 
Michelle & Me 5 years ago


Through the years, Michelle has seen how my life has changed and the many challenges I have faced. She knows what I've struggled with and how I have been treated.

Her phone call meant the world to me. She said how much she enjoys reading this blog every day. She told me that she can see how I've grown in my life and faith, but also some areas she sees that I still struggle with.

This is what a true friend does. She's not my only one. Barbara and Susan are the same. I read a blog yesterday about "truth" friends. This is exactly who they are for me. They don't tickle my ear and tell me all the good stuff. They speak truth. If I'm doing something stupid, they tell me. If I was wrong about something, they let me know. I try to do the same for them. The biggest part of it all is that they pray for me. Prayer is so important. 


Susan, Me, Mike & Donna
Susan, we seriously need a real
picture together!
When we pray, we are taking our own precious time to commune with the Creator of the Universe. We are lifting someone up to Him and talking to Him about their needs. That is huge to me.

King Solomon was one of the wisest people on the earth. He wrote the book of Proverbs and there are several awesome Scriptures about friendship:

Proverbs 17: 17 says, "A friend loves at all times." 

Proverbs 13: 20 says, "He who walks with the wise man will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm."

Proverbs 27: 17 says, "Iron sharpens iron , so one man sharpens another."

Other Old Testament Scriptures: 

Ecclesiastes 4: 9-10 says, "Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor. For if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion. But woe to the one who falls when there is not another to lift him up."

In the New Testament, Paul said this to the church at Corinth, 1 Corinthians 15:33, "Do not be deceived, bad company corrupts good morals." 
Me (far left), Reggie by my shoulder, and Barbara bandanna on.
The rest are my awesome Zumba friends!

Barbara's email as a tag line on the bottom. It is the Scripture 1 Thessalonians 5:11 that says, "So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing."


Life is hard.

We need friends who will encourage us and lift us up.

We are not meant to live life alone. It does not mean you have to have a spouse or significant other. Friends are in your life for a reason. They can guide you, hang out, lift you up, help you grow, and just be there when you need them the most.

A couple of weeks ago, the lady in the front of this Zumba picture sent me a card to work. It was a total surprise and just a little encouraging note.

I challenge you to do something today! Send an encouraging text, make a phone call, mail a note or letter (no one sends GOOD snail mail anymore), write on someone's Facebook page something that will lift them up, maybe even send an email. Do something and let someone know you care and that you think they are doing a great job at life. You never know just how much they might need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment