Thursday, August 6, 2015

3 Types of Blessings

I think there are 3 types of blessings:

1. Blessings from God poured out on us.

2. Blessings from words.

3. Blessings that come from hard times.

1. In the book of Malachi, the verse in Chapter 3, verse 10 is the one most Pastors use to talk about tithing. And rightly so, that's what it's talking about. Let me show it to you:

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. "Test me in this," says the Lord Almighty, "and see if I will not open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it."

My favorite part is "open the floodgates of heaven". 

This is not a Scripture of God trying to get our money. This is also NOT a prosperity name it and claim it thing either. God simple says, "You do this, I will do that." 

I pray for God to pour out blessings on the people I love daily. Those kinds of blessings are awesome!

2. When we speak, we have power. Proverbs 18: 21 says the tongue has the power of life and death. Do you use your words to bless others?
TobyMac, Speak Life


In the Jewish culture, the spoken word blessing was a huge deal. I believe it still is to them now. If you recall in the Bible, some people did crazy things to steal blessings. Jacob killed animals, but their fir on his body, rubbed dirt all over him to pretend to be his brother so he could steal his blessing from their dad. 

Even if you aren't a Star Trek fan, you more than likely know of the show and know of Spock. Leonard Nimoy played the character. They wanted Spock to have something that was "his own". Nimoy was Jewish. He remembered as a child, being blessed with the words, "Live long and prosper." So, he took it to the TV folks, and they loved it. That become Spock's greeting. People had no idea they were actually being blessed when he said it.

In our culture and times, people are so used to being torn down by words. Speak life to people instead. 

3. In Matthew 5, Jesus was teaching on a mountain side. Verses 3 -10 are known as "The Beatitudes". Dictionary.com defines beatitude as "supreme blessedness, exalted happiness."

Jesus was trying to teach that you are blessed, even when bad things happen. Because, bad things are going to happen. We live in a fallen sinful world. This world has a ruler who wants to keep you away from God. Therefore, he will pull out all the punches to do so.

The main beatitude that I like and use as a blessing for others is "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted." (verse 4) I believe that God keeps His promises. I think these blessings are promises and when I know someone mourning, I tell them that they will be comforted. 

You have the power to be a blessing today. Will you use that power for good? 

As Christians, people look at us and watch us. If we are mean, hateful, terrible people... they think God must be that way, therefore they want nothing to do with Him.

We need to be blessings, live in our blessings, and bless others so they will see the God who is real and loves them unconditionally.

Will you join me today in being a blessing to someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment