Tuesday, June 2, 2015

What happened to Chivalry???

Dictionary.com says that chivalry is "the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms."

I realize this is a "knight" old school thing..but I thought it was something that men were supposed to do and be.

The Bible talks about men in leadership roles, leading the women in their lives. I believe the man should be the head of the household physically and spiritually. He might not be a "leader" in the world, but he should be in his home.

I witness something after Zumba last night that floored me!

A small truck was going down the road with yard clippings in the back. After I got in my car, and backed out to leave, I noticed the truck pulled off the road on the other side. As they passed before, I noticed the driver was an older man with white or grey hair. I looked up, and an older women with the same color hair was in the road! Cars were honking at her! She was trying to get some of the clippings that fell off the truck.

I understand that he was driving. BUT had he pulled into the parking lot of the shopping center that R & B House of Fitness is in, she would have been safe in the truck, while HE went to get the clippings.

As I am sitting in my car in shock.. a truck pulls in front of me and parks. An older man gets out and heads towards the road to help them woman.

I thought, "There ya go!"

The best part about it all to me was also that the lady was white, and the man who stopped was black. Here in the south, even after all these years, we have racial tension. We shouldn't but we do. I don't care what anyone's skin color is. If they are my friend, that's what they are. My friend.

Anyway... I called my best friend and told her what happened. 
I said, "What happened to chivalry?" 

We agreed, part of it is our fault. As women, we want independence, to be strong and do anything a man can do. We have taken away manhood in some respects. 

The other part is the man's fault for letting a woman do that to him. And some of it is the man's fault for not even trying. Some men just don't care to live like that. 

Over time, this whole chivalry thing just left our culture. 

There are a FEW men who still practice this. But they are few and far between.

God has established our roles in life and families in the Bible. Why do we ignore that? Why do we think we know better than Him?

If we would get back to the basics and live like God intended us to, this world would be a much better place.

I snapped a picture last night. The man closest to my car was the one who got out to help. You can see the truck in the middle turning lane and the lady putting the clippings back in the truck bed.

I applaud this man for getting out to help a woman he did not know. 
What a great example he is!


1 comment:

  1. No one is taught that any longer. I am amazed when someone holds a door and no one says thank you.

    If someone is going to freely give me a moment of their time, which is just a precious as my time, I look them in the eye and say thank you. This especially applies to my husband.

    ReplyDelete