Monday, June 15, 2015

Digging Out of Dark Seasons

Being  a Christian does not mean that you just sail through life with no problems. Life can be rough. Bad things happen to good people all the time. Some of those things might be self induced, others might hurt you, and still other things happen that are accidents and just mishaps. We live in a fallen sinful world. As Christians, we also have an enemy. He can't get your soul now, but he can try to keep you away from God. 

Regardless of how the dark seasons come on us, they do.

My Pastor has taught two messages on this recently and how to get out of those dark times. They will come. It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN.

Even Jesus struggled some, remember the garden of Gethsemane? That was a dark time for Him. He was sweating blood from stress.

Anyway, when dark seasons come... you walk through it. Like my Pastor said, "You don't sit and make camp in the dark place."

King David, who wrote a lot of the Psalms said it best in Psalm 23, verse 4, "Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me."

He was walking THROUGH and God was WITH him!


Just like we need to do.

When walking through things, we need to maintain our devotion to God, and trust Him.

Then we've got to:

1. Be Uncomfortable - this is a time to learn more about yourself and God. It's a progressive thing. When you are comfortable and in your "zone", we tend to not turn to God much.

2. Start Doing - Reading and studying something is great, but if you don't DO that something and put it into practice you aren't helping yourself at all. Get to know God. Read the Bible and put it into practice. Do whatever you need or feel called to do.

3. Find Your Sweet Spot - The sweet spot is effortless, and it consists on being deeply connected to God.

4. Commit To The Long Term - living for God isn't just something you do when you are in one of these seasons. You've got to realize He is there in the good times too. Commit to living this life as a Christian until it's your time to leave this earth. God wants that. He loves you so much and wants to be in a relationship with you forever.

Here is something I think can make a difference too: Look for someone who is dealing with junk too.. but maybe it's something you've already been through. I am sure if you really listen to your friends and family you will see that someone in your life needs you. I have a close friend right now who is having marriage issues. I've been there, so she came to me and asked for prayer. 

On that same note, look for someone who is ahead of you in their walk with God. If we are walking with someone below and above us, we stay balanced and moving forward in our relationship with God and each other.

Yesterday, my Pastor read us Psalm 37: 1-8. This post is already long, so I'm not going to add it, but look it up! It's an awesome passage. 

Who can you help through a dark season?

Are you walking through one and need help? 

I'm here. Let me know what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment