Thursday, June 25, 2015

Are You Living On Purpose?

To some, that might sound like a dumb question, but think about it a minute?

Are you living your life on purpose? FOR a purpose? Or are you just going through the motions?

I am currently on a trip. I LOVE trips!

I am in Alabama and getting ready to head to Nashville, TN to hang out with at least 149 other people who are in groups with me on Facebook. (Some are bringing spouses, so I know it's going to end up being several more.)

In hind sight, that sounds crazy! I told my best friend yesterday while driving that she should have taken off work and come with me. She said, "No, that's your thing." At least she doesn't think I'm nuts, but it's not something she is interested in.

My cousin said something similar this morning. I have told her all about the groups and how they got started. I also told her about Launch Out conference I am on the way to, and how it got started. We talked about my blog. She said she wouldn't know how to do any of it, and not that she's dumb, but she just doesn't care. That's the beauty of life, isn't it? To each his or her own!

That brings me to my point. We all have a purpose. If we are living on purpose and intentionally, that purpose can be used by God.

You can just have intentions though.Intentions can be good, but won't lead you anywhere. I am still reading my friend Matt Ham's book, "Redefine RICH". I need to make time to finish it, because it's really good. He says, "You see, intentions are dangerous because they lull us into a belief system in which we value our hearts instead of our actions. Intentions are necessary because they are the objects of our purpose and vision; but alone, they are useless." 

Matt also describes a time when he told his wife he had planned on sending her flowers for her birthday. That kinda stinks, he sad it was like saying, "I cared enough to think about you." His intentions were good, but he didn't follow through.

Proverbs 19:21 says, "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails."

Your heart might have amazing plans..but if there isn't a purpose behind them, you are just spinning your wheels.

My wanting to publish a book isn't about me. It's about getting my writing out there on a larger scale so I can help others see God correctly. My wanting to be a Zumba instructor, yet again, isn't about me. It's about the fact that I found something that helps me, that I am passionate about and I want to share it with others and help them feel good about themselves too.

I am a mom. I feel like my children are my purpose as well. God gave them to me to teach them about Him and help them fulfill His purpose for their lives. Some days I feel like I do a poor job of it. But God knows I try. Without His help, I would have given up already. (Being a single mom to three teenagers is a challenge. FOR REAL!) I have to pray for them, and help them find their purpose. 

Anyway... what are your talents, skills, abilities.. what's your purpose? Are you living in it? Or do you just have good intentions to do something later?

STOP THAT!

Start really living! Live on purpose. You will be glad you did.

My cousin has these stenciled over her kitchen window. It really moved me to see them this morning:
Thank God for what you have.

And trust Him for what you need!

What a great way to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment