Saturday, May 2, 2015

Hello, I am Jill and I am a former people pleaser.

So, God wrote the second paragraph for me in my devotional today. He is trying to help me grow and keep me grounded. He's pretty awesome like that.

Here is what it says: Jesus Calling, May 2nd, "When you are with other people, you often lose sight of My Presence. Your fear of displeasing people puts you in bondage to them, and they become your primary focus. When you realize this has happened, whisper My Name; this tiny act of trust brings Me to the forefront of your consciousness, where I belong. As you back in the blessing of My nearness, My life can flow through you to others. This is abundant life!"

See, I used to be a people pleaser. I was bad about wanting approval and wanting people to like me, so I just did whatever.


Even as an adult.

Even since my divorce.

I have longed for attention, to make someone happy, and for approval.

NOT ANY MORE.

I realize this about myself and I have been making changes to avoid that pitfall. I think it's a major deal that God has been working on in my life.

I do not need anyone else's approval.

I do not need anyone else's attention.

Would I like both? Sure.

BUT... I have learned that my true value and worth comes directly from my Heavenly Father. I do not need to get off track and allow a human being to distract me from that. I need to keep God in the forefront of my mind and heart. 

I believe whole heartedly that God has a plan and purpose for all of us. He wants us to be "happy", in a sense, but honestly being joyful is better. Joy comes from Him. Not people. Having people in our lives is awesome. We are meant for community and relationships... but God comes FIRST!

Is this something any of you have struggled with?

I have learned to pray daily, read my Bible & or devotionals daily and during the day to pray whenever I feel led. That keeps me focused on Him. I even type out prayers on Facebook if someone asks for prayer.

Let me tell you. I don't have this down pat. But, I am a work in progress. The mere fact that I recognize it and continue to try to focus on God is amazing. If you struggle with this too, let me know. I will pray for you and maybe we can work on it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment