Monday, April 6, 2015

How Thankful Are You?

I am normally a very positive person.

I try to see the good in everybody and every situation. 

BUT... I struggle sometimes with thinking of what I don't have instead of what I do have.

This has got to stop.

This morning in my Jesus Calling devotional, I felt like God slapped my hand.

See, I don't think God punishes us. His wrath was settled on the cross. I do think He will lovingly discipline us. Just like any good parent will do. HOWEVER, I still think there are limitations to that discipline. 

God is not an angry old man in heaven waiting for us to mess up so He can strike us down with a flat tire, a cold, or someone hacking our bank account. He does not work that way.

This is going to be long, but I'm posting it anyway. I think someone else needs it too.

"Bring Me the sacrifice of thanksgiving. Take nothing for granted, not even the rising of the sun. Before satan tempted Eve in the Garden of Eden, thankfulness was as natural as breathing. Satan's temptation involved pointing Eve to the one thing that was forbidden her. The Garden was filled with luscious, desirable fruits, but Eve focused on the one fruit she couldn't have rather than being thankful for the many good things freely available. This negative focus darkened her mind, and she succumbed to temptation.

When you focus on what you don't have or on situations that displease you, your mind also becomes darkened. You take for granted life, salvation, sunshine, flowers, and countless other gifts from Me. You look for what is wrong and refuse to enjoy life until that is "fixed."

When you approach Me with thanksgiving, the Light of My Presence pours into you, transforming you through and through. Walk in the light with Me by practicing the discipline of thanksgiving." - Jesus Calling

God wants us to be thankful for what we do have. He wants us to manage what we have well. I admit, I do not manage everything well. I try. But I struggle with being consistent with things. I start then stop. I have several areas of my life that just need to be lifestyle changes. Can I get an amen and I can relate?

I stopped on the way home this morning and took this picture. The sun is peaking through the clouds.. because see, even when we can't see it, the sun is still shining. It's just covered with clouds. As much as I love clouds, these dark rainy ones aren't my favorite.

Life gets like that sometimes, doesn't it?

All we see are the dark clouds and we forget that the sun is shining on the other side of them.

Refocus with me!

Let's remember that God is always there, waiting to love on us. Even when we don't see, feel or hear Him. He never leaves us.

Be thankful for what you DO have!

Let the rest go. If it's meant to be, God will work it out for your good. He promises to do that, and He always keeps His promises!

No comments:

Post a Comment