Sunday, January 11, 2015

I HAVE BEEN BELIEVING A LIE!

Oh my gosh!

Shane Willard of Shane Willard Ministries is in my town this weekend. He is one of the most amazing Bible teachers I have ever learned under.

I hope you don't mind me sharing...because I think we ALL need to hear this.

There is a lie about the Bible that I had been believing.

That lie is this... "If you want to know God, read His Word."

This is Shane's quote: "The Bible is not a static record on what God is. It is a dynamic progression of what men thought God was at the time and God chose to give it life."

Now, before you start throwing insults at me, let me finish.

The Bible IS the inspired Word of God, however, it was written by men. AND if you take it literally, you are taking it wrong. 

We need to change the way we think about about it.

Here are 5 things we should try to do:

1. Attempt to communicate the Bible idol free. I know, we don't think we have any idols, but we do. One example is that we tend to believe people need to pray a "sinner's prayer" to get into heaven. Jesus never led anyone in a prayer to believe in Him. The thief on the cross only had to believe and Jesus said, "Today you will be with me in paradise." That has become an idol for us.

2. Admit our limitations. Don't act like you are a Bible scholar when you aren't. It turns people off.

3. Watch your tone. No matter your anointing, if it's not out of love for God, you are fake. You can be right, but with the wrong voice. Don't be prideful.

4. Lose language that makes the Bible static. Don't tell people to read the Bible to find out what God is like. Some of the stories in there aren't correct for today's time and are men's ideas. Some of them are a progression towards better times....but still hard to understand in 2015. I will give an example in a post tomorrow. Stay tuned!

5. Consider history before you interpret Scripture. Shane gave a few examples of this that I want to break down into other posts! We NEED to know the history because without it, we are believing some wrong things about God!

Please come back over the next few days. You will not want to miss this!




No comments:

Post a Comment