Sunday, November 2, 2014

Hey! Look at that heart!

In the Old Testament, God made Saul the first King over Israel. Saul started doing things that God was not cool with, so God decided it was time to anoint another King. He sent Samuel, a prophet, to the house of Jessie. Jessie had a bunch of sons. He had them come in, clean up and stand before Samuel. As Samuel went to each one, God was like, "Nope". "Uh, Nope." Samuel thought, "Wow God, this one is really handsome and strong. Why aren't you picking him?"

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Don’t judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The Lord doesn’t see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7 NLT)

Jessie had actually forgotten David in the field. He was tending to the sheep

A friend of mine posted that Scripture to Facebook, and it reminded me of something my oldest son said to me.

We were on the way to the grocery store one Friday. He was driving. I had the mirror down and was refreshing my make up. He said, "Why are you worried about the way you look?" I said, "I'm on the market again, I need to look nice wherever I go." He said, "People should look at your heart." To which I replied, "Well, that would be really nice. I have a good heart, but that's not how it works. They look at the outside first."

I wish there was way for us to look at people's hearts first. 

Maybe we need to pray and ask God to help us. I mean, He very well could give us that ability. Maybe. I do know this.. the heart, to me, is more important than the looks. Of course, I want to be attracted to someone, but if he has an ugly heart, his outside won't be handsome to me for long. 

Let's try our best to look at people's hearts. I think it's a good thing to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment