Friday, October 17, 2014

The Power of Habit


Charles Duhigg wrote this book, The Power of Habit. I have not read it yet, but need to. One of my good friends said that he has already read it twice. Andy Stanley has gotten his staff at North Point Community Church to read it as well. So, it comes highly recommended.

The few notes that I took from his speech at Catalyst Conference were these:

40 - 45% of things we do are not choices, they are habits.

We need a Cue, a routine, and a reward.

Some habits matter more than others.

Exercise changes the way we see ourselves. (THIS!!! God was like, "Are you listening?" I was like, "Yes!")

Make sure your reward is actually rewarding.

Will power can be taught by habit.

The most powerful rewards contain emotions.

So....

A cue for me, is my Zumba work out clothes, my routine is well my dance routine, and my reward... a Hershey's kiss. One little piece of heaven... um, I mean, chocolate. 

I am also a part of a great group of women who are encouraging each other on a weight loss journey, as well as having a great friend hold me accountable for my water intake. 

Is there a habit you  need to start or stop?





No comments:

Post a Comment