Monday, September 29, 2014

Contentment

Last night at the dinner table with my 12 year old daughter, she tells me how she is content. I thought that was pretty cool, because most 12 year olds are still wanting the newest, latest, greatest whatever.

She said she does not have everything she wants, but she has a lot and she's content with that. (I know, she doesn't sound 12, but I promise, she is.) 

I started thinking about the many adults I know who aren't content with their lives. I have even had seasons when I wasn't content. 

In Philippians 4: 11 & 12, Paul says, "I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."

My church supports a ministry in Haiti. It's called Hope to Haiti if you would like to check them out and help them. It's a great ministry! We had a team of people go this past summer to help out a few days. One of my good friends went. I remember her saying, "Those children were so happy with anything. If a boy got girl socks, he did not care. If one child did not have something, they shared. Our children here are so spoiled."

She's right. Most Americans are not content. We want more. We compare ourselves to and try to keep up with the neighbors. (Or famous people we see on tv.)  We need the latest and greatest of everything. 

Life is not about STUFF! 

Paul was abused, shipwrecked, chained to Roman soldiers, stoned, thrown in prison, in jails, in dungeons, and yet, he was content.

If you have food in your home, a home of any type, and friends & family to love, you have a lot! Be content with it. Ask God to settle your heart and help you. He will. He loves you and He wants you to be joyful and content, no matter what you might be facing. He is always there and will never leave you.

No comments:

Post a Comment