Thursday, July 24, 2014

Fighting Our Enemy

Christians, we have an enemy. I do not like to talk about him, but nevertheless, he is real. One of my favorite authors, C.S. Lewis wrote a fictional book called The Screwtape Letters. It was his idea of how demons work on us. Screwtape is the head demon and he writes letters to his protege, Wormwood. Here is line from the book, "The fact that "devils" are predominately comic figures in the modern imagination will help you. If any faint suspicion of your existence begins to arise in his mind, suggest to him a picture of something in red tights, and persuade him that since he cannot believe in that (it is an old textbook method of confusing them) he therefore cannot believe in you."

There are battles that happen in our thoughts, our relationships, our attitudes and our everyday choices. Our enemy works on us in small ways so that he can get us to back away from God. It might be a smart remark to someone, listening to a little gossip, or not praying that day. The goal of our enemy is to put a wedge between us and God. He can not do anything but distract or pull us away..but he can do that. If we get too busy for prayer, church attendance, Bible reading, etc... then what he is doing is working.

For every battle we face, we do have Spiritual armor we could put on. It is listed in
Ephesians 6: 13-17. Then, one very important thing is verse 18. "And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for the saints."

There have been people who have come and gone in my life. One of my best friends got upset with me one day because she asked if I still pray for them, and I said "Not really." She said, "As much as you care about people, I do not understand that. Don't you know how important your prayers for them are? They need you to keep praying for them." 

It's not that I was angry or trying to be spiteful. I guess if the person is not in my life on a daily basis, I just don't think about praying for them. I realize the importance and the power of prayer, and how this could be one of the enemies ways to keep me from praying, so I have starting praying more for those people. I do think that is the first place our enemy attacks... if he can keep you from talking to God, then he gets his foot in the door. In any relationship, there has to be communication. Praying to Him is how we talk to Him, then He in turn talks to us in different ways.

What is blocking you? Are you allowing a wedge to be put in between you and God? It's time to remove it! Jesus name is all powerful and the enemy HAS TO LEAVE when it is spoken out loud. Every time he tempted Jesus, Jesus spoke Scripture out loud. That is how you fight him. It is a battle my friends. But thankfully, we can win because we have God on our side!

No comments:

Post a Comment