Tuesday, April 1, 2014

What kind of friend are you?

I have several people in my life that I consider to be my BEST friends. 

When I say "Best friend", this is what I mean. 
1. I talk to them about many things in my life.
2. I am thankful for their advice.
3. They will pray for me whenever I ask them to, no questions asked.
4. They will help me with anything if I ask for help.
5. They will kick my butt when I need it.

Yes, that's right, you read number five correctly. Here is the thing... we do NOT need friends who just tickle our ears.

Some people surround themselves with friends who only tell them that what they are doing is good and okay. They do not want to be challenged. They do not want to hear the truth. They do not want to improve themselves.

I am not like that. I want to improve myself and make changes when I need to. I would rather hear the truth than be lied to. I have been lied to enough in my life. 
I was reminded of my best friends this morning during my Bible reading time.

Proverbs 27:9 says this, "Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel."

These friends of mine give me earnest counsel. They tell me the truth. They do not sugar coat it.

Proverbs 28:23 says this, "He who rebukes a man will in the end gain more favor than he who has a flattering tongue."

We all need encouragement and love, please don't misunderstand that. However, we need people in our lives to say, "Hey, wait a minute, that's not right for you."  Just flattering your friends and never being honest with them isn't really being a friend if you ask me.

You are a better friend in my opinion if you are honest and truthful. No one is perfect and we all have things we need to work on. Who better to help than the people you are closest to that you share your life with? 

What kind of friend are you? Do you just flatter your friends? Or are you honest and truthful with them? 




No comments:

Post a Comment