Saturday, March 22, 2014

What does your name mean?

When I was pregnant with each of my three children, besides the early labor, the hardest part was coming up with their names. Names mean something, usually, and it is something that the child will have to live with forever. So, it is a very important part of them being born.

Proverbs 22:1 says, "A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver or gold."

My mom named me after a doll she played with as a child. But, it turns out that my name actually comes from her first given name. Jill means "youthful". And, honestly, it fits. I look younger than I am. (Which I personally think is awesome. I get from my Grandma. She is 83 and doesn't look a day over 70! Good genes! LOL)

This might be off base here, but I think this could also refer to nicknames. My children have nicknames, but they are not character attacking names. My oldest is Roody, middle Cheese sandwich, and my daughter is Swiss. None of them have anything to do with their real names.

Calling someone "knucklehead" or "dummy" just doesn't seem nice to me. Especially if it is said so much that the other person starts believing what they are being called. 

If you don't already know what you name means, I found this baby website, just type in your name and it will give you the meaning. Names

Material things fade away. You can not pull a U-haul behind your hearse when you die. Nothing physical will go to heaven with you. Live your life by loving the people in your life. They are the treasures you get to take to heaven with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment