Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Here is an unusual DO NOT....

Some people really have the wrong idea about God. They think He is a big bully in the sky keeping a record of our wrongs and waiting to strike us down with a lightening bolt for messing up. Some think He has this long list of 
DO NOT's and DO's.

This is just not the truth.

God does have the Ten Commandments, and other great things to live by in the Bible, but He is not a legalistic God who is expecting us to get it all right.

In Proverbs 3, I found an unusual DO NOT Scripture that I wanted to share.
 To me, this shows the heart of God.

Proverbs 3: 27 & 28 say, "Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act. 28. Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow" - when you now have it with you."

I find it interesting that God says for us to help people, do good to people, when it's within our power. And if your neighbor (which in this case means anyone) asks for something and you have it, give it to them.

Last week, I was taking one of my sons and his friends to another friend's house. That boy's mom is also a single mom and I've noticed that she has a house full of teenagers on the weekends. I offered to pick up some $5 pizzas. You would have thought I'd tried to give her a million dollars. She was so grateful. I had the money, and wanted to help.

While we were in the pick up line, we noticed two military people in the truck behind us. I told the cashier that I wanted to pay for their pizza too. Our military sacrifice so much for us to stay free. Someone else in the parking lot had my same idea, and they paid for their pizza before I could. It warmed my heart that someone beat me to it.

Doing good for others is just nice. It helps get you outside of yourself and your life and make a difference in someone else's.

Look around today, what can you do that is good for someone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment