Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Why I stopped wearing a cross around my neck.

A few months ago, a worship leader/ writer that I admire posted something on all of his social media sites that hit a chord with me. His name is Carlos Whitaker. (If you haven't heard of him, check him out.)

He said, "If Jesus had of been killed by an electric chair, we would all have those hanging around our necks." 

That statement moved me. I've been wearing a cross pendant on my necklace for years. Suddenly, I questioned myself. Would I actually wear an electric chair? Why was I wearing it anyway? I "prove" to people that I was a Christian?

When I mentioned it to someone close to me, they said it was the symbol of what Jesus did for us on the cross. I understand that... but why not an empty tomb instead of a cross? 

The cross was a method of killing people during that time when Rome was in control of so many places. Jesus had two thieves on either side of him on cross' too. We believe that Jesus never sinned, right? So, His death was just like "sinners". It was ordinary for that time period. He did willingly die for us, and in place of us. I am not denying that at all. But, wear a cross on my necklace to express my faith? Nah.

In John 13: 34 & 35 Jesus told his disciples this, "34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

THIS is how I need people to know I am a Christian. I need to love people. If I love people, then they will see Jesus in and through me. My necklace shouldn't make a difference at all!

Do you wear a cross on your necklace? What do you think about why I took mine off? 

No comments:

Post a Comment