Tuesday, June 13, 2017

A Lesson From The Ants

Take a lesson from the ants, you lazybones.
    Learn from their ways and become wise!
Though they have no prince
    or governor or ruler to make them work,
they labor hard all summer,
    gathering food for the winter. ~ Proverbs 6:6-8 NLT

We have three big outside dogs. One of them likes to bark at the other as they eat. I think she's just trying to protect her food...but still.
The other day things went bad when my kids were out there doing something. 
So, a couple of nights ago, I went out to feed them. In order to keep the barking down and all, I sat out there on this bench we have.
As they ate, I started noticing something.
Dog food pieces were walking off the porch. LOL
I looked closer and there were clusters of ants carrying the dog food. I bent down to watch.
They were crowding around all of the sides, some big ants, and some much smaller.
The first piece of food had already traveled a good distance. There was a clump of moss from the tree on the porch, and I thought to myself, "Uh oh, wrong way."
Somehow, they knew it, and turned. I was so surprised.
The another piece of dog food started moving... and I realized that some of the ants from the first piece, left it, and went to help the ants at this new one.
Several larger ants went in between the pieces, as if giving directions and orders.
They too, avoided the moss.
Suddenly, a third piece was being carried away. 
Now, the Scripture I posted above talks about how they gather their food in summer. Which is exactly what they are doing.
BUT... I want to talk about something else.
Community.
They were working TOGETHER to get what they needed. They were helping each other.
The larger, stronger ants were guiding the group.
They AVOIDED danger walking together. 
We can have that in small group settings, or Sunday School class rooms. When you are doing life other others, they help you. That's the point.
The New Testament church took it further than we do. Most of them sold their land, and gave everything they had to the church. They met together in homes and ate together every day.
We are designed for community. We are made for relationships. 
When you share the good and bad times of your life with others, it makes all the difference in the world.
My heart is breaking at the high rate of suicide at the moment. Now there even a Netflix show, that from what I have heard seems to make suicide cool. There is a girl in the news on trial for convincing her boyfriend to kill himself. 
People feel isolated and alone. But they aren't. If they would get into community with others. It doesn't have to be church, that's my preference though. 
The Broadway Show called Dear Even Hanson is dealing with suicide too. I was afraid it was making it cool, but they are actually reaching out to people to tell them that you aren't alone.
Do you have a community of people in your life? I sure hope so. If not, please reach out. Attend Sunday school or small groups. You NEED other people. We all need each other.
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment