Thursday, July 7, 2016

Jesus & Storms

"Then Jesus got into the boat and started across the lake with His disciples. Suddenly, a fierce storm struck the lake, with waves breaking into the boat. But Jesus was sleeping." Matthew 8: 23 -24 NLT
My friend Barbara and I have been reading through some of Jesus' miracles. This was part of today's reading. I felt like I needed to share my thoughts on this, because some people don't believe the way I do.
I would like you to notice, that in this Scripture posted above, a storm struck the lake, and Jesus was sleeping. 
This is huge; let me tell you why:
  1. Jesus did not cause the storm. It doesn't say He got on the boat, and made the storm, then went to sleep.
  2. Jesus was asleep, and the storm did not wake Him up. Therefore, He was not worried.
Now, let me show you a few passages after verse 24...
25 The disciples went and woke Him up, shouting, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!" 26 Jesus responded, "Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!" Then He got up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly there was a great calm. 27 The disciples were amazed. "Who is this man?" they asked. "Even the winds and waves obey Him." Matthew 8: 25-27
Why would a loving Father CAUSE a storm in your life, just to calm it?
I know I'm changing gears here a little... this account is about weather.. but I'm speaking about other types of storms.
Our storms might be a cancer diagnosis, business issues, health problems, friend and family problems, divorce, marriage issues, children's behavior, work related issues, things breaking around your home.... I could come up with more, but I will stop here. I think you get the picture.
Now, for all intent purposes, we know that God knows everything. Right? He knew that storm was coming on the lake that day. And He allowed the storm to happen, instead of stopping it. Let me tell you why I believe He did this.... so He could show His power and let the disciples know that they didn't have to be afraid with Him and they could trust Him. He is the calmer of storms.
God knows what you are going through too. He doesn't cause the storms. Life, our environment, and sometimes our enemy brings the storms. You don't have to be afraid though. God is with you, and He is STILL the calmer of storms. 
When I am going through something, I pray for God to help me see the good in it. That's hard to do sometimes.... but with His help, all things are possible.
I will tell you how I get through my storms; besides praying myself, I ask for prayer. I go to my close friends and tell them what's going on. They lift me up in prayer, and sometimes, they correct me if my thoughts are wrong on something. 
The storms can totally stink, but they can make us stronger. Then, after you come out of your storm, you are able to help someone else when they go through the same thing. Use those storms for good!
Are you going through a storm today? If so, I would love to pray for you. Get in touch with me. 
God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment