Sunday, March 20, 2016

This is Community!

Hebrews 10: 24-25 NIV, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on towards love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another- and all the more you see the day approaching."

Yesterday, my Zumba family and I warmed up a great group of people for a walk/ run. We also participated. I wasn't able to walk, so I volunteered. I was at a "rest area/ cheer station". We had water, juice, and snacks along with lots of "Way to Go!"s and "Keep going!"s  to encourage the walkers and runners.

This Albany Pink Walk is about support, and a community coming together to for women who have lived through, died from, and are currently battling breast cancer. As I looked down the road, and saw this sea of pink, my eyes filled with tears. We were there, together as a community, black, white, Asian, whatever race simply because breast cancer sucks.

I know it's not October, and I think that's why it's all the more valuable. Keeping breast cancer awareness around all year long is a good thing!

My friend Melissa's mom is currently going through chemo treatments for breast cancer, while her son is fighting for his life in the hospital after a heart attack and stroke. Please pray for this family. Even with all she's going through, Melissa stopped to take a selfie with me! LOL 
Melissa & Me

When I saw her mom, I jumped down on the road and hugged her. I told her I've been praying for her, and she said, "Thank you, I need it." My heart is so moved by the courage and bravery of these women who endure so much.

A few shirts said, "God's got my back." on the back of them, and I thought, "How true."

You see, God doesn't give people cancer as a punishment or to "bring them back" to Him. God can't give something He doesn't have. And I'm pretty sure He doesn't have breast cancer. But He is there for people and He will see them through it all.

My Zumba family loves our community and we were honored to be asked for a second year to warm up these awesome people. I am so blessed to have them in my life. 

Reggie made up a dance to Meghan Trainer's song, "Better when I'm dancing". I love it! I do feel better when I'm dancing, and I bet these ladies did too. We had several people jump in with us in the back, and others dancing out in the audience. It was so fun.

Barbara, Me and Bre
Bre, in our group, lost her mom to breast cancer, so this walk is super special to her. She wants to help other people. I admire her strength. 

God made us for relationships. We are creatures who need each other. Especially during the hard times. The Scripture posted above is normally used to try to convince people that they shouldn't miss church.

For the record, I do not think you have to be at church every single time the doors are open. I usually am, but not out of guilt or any legalistic view point. I want to be there. I enjoy it. 

I just think the main point is God wants us to be with others. Especially other believers. We can rejoice during the good times and help during the bad. 

No one has to be alone. Ever. There is always someone who can relate to what you are going through and will be there to walk through it with you. (If you'll let them.)

I hope that you have a community like that. I hope you will join in when there is any type of event that supports others. Because, let me just tell you, it's so rewarding.

God bless you today and always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment