Tuesday, January 19, 2016

You Can't Change The Past

Isaiah 43:19, "So I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland."

The best way I can make myself actually rest is by watching movies. If I'm not cleaning up, I'm usually on my computer doing something. So when I watch a movie, I actually sit and watch it.

This weekend, I got a few movies just to rest. Sunday, I watched the newest Fantastic Four. There is a part where Sue Storm says this to Reid, "You can't change the past, you can only change the future." 

I agree with her statement. There is nothing we can do about the past. It's done. However, you can change your future.

I am the poster child for this. Being left by my now ex husband as a stay at home, home schooling mom was difficult to say the least. But I sat around trying to change something I couldn't, I would not be where I am today.

Today, my relationship with my children and God is stronger. Today, I work at a job that I absolutely love. Today, I have great friends who help me through life. (Ones I wouldn't have had in my past.)

What's holding you down? What are you allowing to keep you stuck in the past?

One of my favorite Disney movies is "Meet The Robinsons". (Mostly because it's about adoption.) There is a GREAT quote in it that is repeated... they are totally cool with  making mistakes. Because making mistakes is how you learn. I found out later that what they were saying was actually said by Walt Disney himself.

Keep Moving Forward!

Only look back long enough to learn a lesson, then let it go.

I love how God works. I knew I was going to write about this today and when I opened my Christine Caine devotional, today was about the same thing. Here are two quotes from it..

"If we spend our time rehashing and replaying every scenario from our past where someone hurt us, abused us, or disappointed us, or where we failed, then we will never be able to reach forward to grasp the future God has prepared for us."

"Remember, so much of what we think is absolutely essential for fulfilling our destiny just isn't that important."

God has a plan and purpose for our lives. If we sit back and try to change the past, we aren't even looking at our future... and we aren't allowing God to work in our lives because we are stuck back there in something we can't change.

If you are struggling with this, I would love to pray for you about it. Get in touch with me.

If you have learned your lessons from the past and are continuing to move forward, keep going! You are headed in the right direction.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment