Sunday, December 13, 2015

What About Joseph?

Matthew 1: 24, "When Joseph woke up, he did as the angel of the Lord commanded and took Mary as his wife."


If you live within driving distance of my church, I think you should take the time to join us next year on a Wednesday night. Mrs. Laurel seriously makes the Bible come to life in a way no one I've learned under ever has. She also points out things I've never thought of before. 

This past Wednesday night we talked about Joseph. She showed me some things I've read, but never gave a second thought to. For example, the four times that an angel appeared to Joseph in a dream, do you remember how he responded?

First was the statement that he should marry Mary because she hadn't cheated on him. Can you imagine how he must have felt? There is no telling how long he'd been engaged to her, and to think she had cheated on him must have hurt. But he did was he was told, and married her without ever making love to her.

Second was the angel telling Joseph to take Jesus and Mary to Egypt. He wasn't even told why.. but we know that Herod was killing all of the baby boys age 2 and younger looking for Jesus. Joseph wasn't a wealthy man. He had to work to provide for his family. So to just up and leave in the middle of the night took courage. And faith! I mean, he's doing major things based on what an angel in a dream told him. Ya know?

Third, Joseph was told it was time to leave Egypt, because the man trying to kill Jesus was dead. However, when they got back, Herod's son was on the throne and he scared Joseph. His fourth dream was telling him to go to Galilee. The Bible says, "So the family went and lived in a town called Nazareth. This fulfilled what the prophets had said: "He will be called a Nazarene." (Matthew 1: 23)

Joseph did not second guess God. He did not say, "Well, I might go do what you said,"  He did not question if the message was from God. He just obeyed and went. Immediately! Without hesitation. I think that means that he must have really trusted God. 

Would we do all of the things Joseph did just because God or one of His angels told us to?This season is about Jesus being born. However, there are many lessons we can learn from Joseph and Mary as well. This one really touches me and makes me think about if I am being obedient to God. Does it make you feel the same way? I'd love to hear from you.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment