Thursday, October 15, 2015

Creating Wonder with Music

Photo taken from Catalyst Conference Facebook page.
I was introduced to Trip Lee a few years ago by my son, because Trip is a rapper. My middle son loves rap music. I like some of it. I especially like Trip Lee, Lecrae, and NF. They are Christian rappers, so their music is good, clean, and points people to God.

I did not know until just before Catalyst that Trip is also a Pastor. He did a GREAT job on his talk, and I enjoyed it very much.

Here are a few key things he said: "The wonder of music helps us behold the wonder of God."

If you know me personally, you know how much I love music. I like pretty much everything but country music. I'm not sure why, but it's my least favorite. I can not play an instrument or even carry a tune in a bucket, but I love music. I figure that God says to make a joyful noise unto Him, so He's cool with how I sound. LOL

Trip said, "Music can capture us like nothing else can. It's for our enjoyment to glorify Him. Nothing can do to our hearts what music can."

He's right about that. Music can make you happy, sad, or angry. Sometimes, we have memories of something that happened, because we remember a particular song that was on during that event. 

Trip said we are commanded to sing, but some people think music is just the fluffy stuff before the message. It's not. And we need to use EVERY single tool God has given us to reach people for Him. (Hence the quote above.)

Here are Trip's three points:
1. Use music to celebrate God - to ignore music is to be unfaithful, Exodus 15:1 says, "I will sing to the Lord, for He has triumphed gloriously; He has hurled both horse and rider into the sea." The Jewish nation SANG to God after Pharaoh and his men were killed.

2. Music expresses pain and frustration, it's not all praise songs. Job 30: 31 says, "My harp plays sad music, and my flute accompanies those who weep." Playing music is a part of the grieving process. We we are going through something, we can know that even the writers in the Bible have gone through things. Psalm 42 is a song David wrote during a hard time in his life.

3. Music is using to teach and encourage.  Ephesians 5: 18 & 19 says, "Don't be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts."  We sing songs to God and each other. We can be encouraged by music. Don't handicap people by telling them they can only listen to Christian music either. Learn from other music. Use music to tear down idols, and speak into cultural issues from a good world view! Colossians 3: 16 says, "Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom He gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts."

"The artist was created by God - use it to honor God. Music is going to inspire wonder!"

 I pray that just these few notes help you think about music differently. I know this talk showed me things I didn't realize, and I already love music.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment