Sunday, September 13, 2015

What Are You Soaking Up?

This morning, my oldest son was in the bathroom, and I heard, "Mama, come here."

As I walked to the door, I thought, "Oh no." He was standing over the toilet. I thought maybe his nose was bleeding, because he's had that happen when he had a sinus infection before. Or I thought maybe he was about to throw up. I wasn't sure...

He was looking down, so I looked down to find a WHOLE roll of toilet paper in the toilet. It had already soaked up the water and was full.


I said, "Did that just happen?" He said, "Yes."

You would have thought it had been in there all night. That's how much water it soaked up.

This made me think about what we soak up each day.

I'm not some religious woman who only reads her Bible and doesn't have fun. As a matter of fact I watched Auburn's football game yesterday (we won, but it was an ugly game) and part of Georgia's game. Then I went to a friend's birthday party. 

But I do think of is the old saying, "If you put garbage in, you get garbage out."

So, if we only listen to the world, we soak up the world. Right?

I'm not saying be religious. I'm not saying be legalistic and follow a man made set of rules.

I'm saying follow the Bible and let Scripture soak into your heart.

I was trying to find the Scripture that tells us that we are IN the world, but to not be OF the world. I couldn't find it.

Romans 12:2 does tell us "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing, and perfect will."

Being transformed in your mind has a lot to do with Scripture reading and learning.

I think this also applies to other "religions". (I use term lightly.) The "world" doesn't just mean the unsaved. I believe it also means those "religions" that are cult like in nature. There are several out there who want people to only live their way. They add too and take away from the Bible. We are warned not to do that.

Christianity is following Christ. It is about living like Him, doing what He did, and becoming Christ-like.

So what are you soaking up?

I have been still reading through Proverbs each day. I'm gaining wisdom and knowledge from it. It's almost studying it, but I'm trying to memorize it as well. That's a way to soak it up.

God bless you today and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment