Monday, May 12, 2014

What makes up a good parent?

I watched a movie last night that really got me thinking. It was called "Chasing Mavericks". It is a true story about a surfer named Jay Moriarity. Around 8 years old, his dad left him and his mom. He almost drowned in the ocean, but was saved by a surfer who took him under his wing. This man became the father Jay didn't have. They loved each other like son and father.

Two years ago, God brought an 18 year old girl into my life. I love her like a daughter. I tell people she is my adopted daughter, because that is exactly how I feel about her. 

How can a person feel parent like towards a child they met late in life and didn't give birth to?

How can people have children, their own flesh and blood, but not be a part of their lives?

What makes up a good parent?

Do you have to be a compassionate person?
Are there special genes in your body that make you a good parent?

What about your experiences growing up? I am sure somehow that plays a role. Maybe you had a bad childhood, so you vow to be nothing like your parents. Maybe you had a great childhood and want to be exactly like your parents. Either way, we make decisions based on our past, don't we?

God calls us His children. When we give our lives to Him, we are "adopted" into His family. Maybe that's why we are able to love someone who isn't our child? 

I can tell you one thing. I think children need discipline and a caring parent. It is hard being a single parent because you do not have help and have to do it all. I want my children to obey me, but at the same time, I want them to know I will always be there for them and I care about their well being very much. 

As a parent, I think if we love our children like God loves us, then we can not go wrong. He is the perfect parent. I am so thankful for my Heavenly Father and the blessings He has given me. Aren't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment