Friday, February 7, 2014

Do you suffer from seasonal depression?


I believe  there are three types of seasonal depression people suffer with.

1. Actual holidays 
2. Actual seasons
3. A period of time after the death of a loved one


Holidays:
Valentine's Day is a week from today. I have already seen my single friend's posts on Facebook about how they are not excited for the day, or how they supposedly don't care about that day, etc. Why do we let a day that isn't even a real holiday bother us? You know how to fix that? Realize this important truth: GOD IS YOUR VALENTINE! God loves you so much that He gave His Son to die for you. That's huge! John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life."


Holidays & period of time after death:
When families get together on other holidays, such as Thanksgiving and Christmas, we tend to miss loved ones who have passed. My Grand daddy died two days before Christmas and we buried him on Christmas Eve. That does somewhat over shadow every year. However, I do not dwell on it. I do not let it ruin my Christmas season. Sure, I think of him often and how he never met my kids. He would have loved to be taking them fishing. I know I will see him again one day, and that comforts me. If you are still crying and missing a loved one terribly after years and years of them being gone, you might need to get some extra help. It's normal to grieve. What's not normal is letting those deaths take away your joy. If you have a once in a life time event, enjoy it. Don't over shadow it with, "Well, my Grand daddy wasn't here to see this." That is a way for satan to steal your joy. Stop allowing that.

Actual seasons:
This winter has been the most odd ball winter we've ever had. We are now having winter storms with names, as if they were hurricanes. It has been unseasonably cold here in Southwest Georgia where I live. These days without sun shine can cause depression. Some people are snowed in their homes for days at a time. They get tired of being stuck inside. If you feel like you suffer from winter depression, talk to someone and get help for it. Find out ways to look forward to spring, without hurting yourself more. (I think they have a lamp you can buy to give you Vitamin D.) This is only a season, it is not a time that will be forever.

No depression is or has to be forever. Dig out! I like reading Scripture out loud when I'm down. My favorite protective verse and one that's just all around awesome is Psalm 91. I read it for my family and loved ones every night. 

Do not suffer alone! Talk to someone you trust about how you feel. Sitting in this state of mind alone will harm you more. Open up and be honest! You will be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment