Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Hearing The Holy Spirit

"Call to me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known." Jeremiah 33:3 ESV
"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." John 10:27 ESV
When we give our lives to God, the Holy Spirit moves in to dwell with us. He is there to teach us things, guide us, and help us understand the Bible. We have to be listening to hear Him speak though.
In my experience, I have heard Him in a still small voice, reading the Bible, reading something someone wrote that was inspired by God, a nudge to do something, or even just something that weighed heavy on my heart and wouldn't go away until I did it.
I just ripped out my carpet this past weekend and put down vinyl tile. It was so much work. In doing so, I found a book by T. D. Jakes that I did in 2011. It's about wisdom. I wrote prayers at the end of each day's reading, and it's pretty cool now to look back at how much I've grown closer to God and grown spiritually in 6 years.
The book is simply titled, "Wisdom from T. D. Jakes". I want to share some of what he says about the Holy Spirit. 
Jakes writes, "Remember, the Holy Ghost doesn't speak on His own initiative. He doesn't convey His own ideas or plans. He speaks only what He hears from Heaven."
From page 25: "Let's look at seven areas of your life in which the Holy Ghost wants to speak. The Holy Ghost:
  1. Wants to speak to you things that go beyond human logic, natural tendency, and physical comprehension.
  2. Will testify to you.
  3. Will give you direction.
  4. Speaks to lead us to obedience (see Acts 10:1-23)
  5. Shows you God's choice for companionship.
  6. Will speak and close doors that were the right thing but the wrong time.
  7. Sometimes warns us."
The Holy Spirit will never lead  you to do something that isn't Biblical. For example, He's not going to tell you to rob a bank. That's stealing and wrong.
There is a quote from a man named Mark Virkler in Jakes book. I have no idea who he is, but I think what he said is eye opening!
"Unfortunately, many in the Church miss the great blessing of fellowship with our Lord because we have lost the ability to recognize His voice within us. Though we have the promise that, 'My sheep hear My voice,' too many believers are starved for that intimate relationship that alone can satisfy the desire of their hearts. I was one of those sheep who was deaf to His Shepherd until the Lord revealed four very simple keys (found in Habakkuk 2:1-2) that unlocked the treasure of His voice."
So, let's see what Habakkuk 2:1-2 says, "I will climb up to my watchtower and stand at my guardpost. There I will wait to see what the Lord says and how He will answer my complaint."
We pray, but we don't listen.Why is that? How can you have a relationship with someone if you are always talking and never listening?
Living for God is a relationship. And He wants to talk to you, but you've got to be willing to listen.
I have been practicing praying and listening for people for months now, and then telling them what I believe God said while I was listening. It is scary! I don't want to say something that isn't from God. Ya know? But I am being obedient, because He usually puts someone on my heart for me to pray for. Most of the time, it is something the person really needed to hear. I am so grateful to be used by God in this way. It's not me at all.
We need to slow down and listen. We need to pay attention to the nudges in our hearts. Or some would say that "gut feeling". As well as really LISTEN after we pray. He will speak to you. I promise.
If you need prayer for anything, please get in touch with me. I would love to pray for you.
God bless you today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment